This year has been a successful year in residential home sales. Even though other real estate sectors are on hold, residential sales have been booming. If you’re thinking about selling, it’s a great time to do so. Before you put your home on the market, there are things you can do to make sure you get the most out of your home’s value.
A few smart fixes and upgrades could help you seal the deal and with a few more dollars in your pocket. Here are some easy and affordable ways to help increase the value of your home.
- Make sure buyers can see your house. Get rid of unkempt bushes and hanging limbs. Make sure all of the sidewalks are clear. You want buyers to be able to see the home and have a clear walkway to get there.
- Do routine maintenance. Don’t wait until someone tells you something is wrong. Fix those leaky pipes, inspect the furnace, replace a drafty window and install storm doors. Small repairs and maintenance will go a long way toward value.
- Fix the floors. Repair broken tile, get rid of ratty carpets, and patch damaged floor boards. Even a couple well-placed nails can get rid of irritating squeaks.
- Paint your walls neutral colors. Even though you might have liked the bright blue in the living room, others may not. Making sure colors are neutral allows buyers to see how they can make it their own.
- Update the kitchen. The number one greatest return on an investment is in the kitchen. Change the paint, paint a faux-wood finish on cabinets, go stainless steel on appliances and add a rolling island.
- Beautify the bathroom. Small upgrades to the bathroom can add value without pinching your pocketbook. Clean out the grout, remove rust stains, update the doorknobs and replace the faucet.
- Remove out of date material. If there’s old wallpaper, bright vinyl flooring or a broken front step, replace it.
Before you list your home, you can also do a pre-inspection that will help bring any issues to light. After you’ve made your updates and fixed any issues, you are ready to list your home. The next step? Contact a trusted real estate agent. They will assist you from start to finish and answer any questions you have along the way. An agent will also help you maximize your profit and make the process go a lot smoother.