Is a Career in Real Estate Right for You?By Angela Smith, Communications Manager
August 13, 2019
If you’re thinking of making a career change for a more flexible schedule, the ability to be your own boss and limitless income, consider real estate.
If you’re thinking of making a career change and are looking for a career with a flexible schedule, the ability to be your own boss and have limitless income, real estate might be the right path for you. But before making the leap, we’ve weighed out some pros and cons that you will want to consider. Pros
- Flexible Schedule. As an agent, you’ll be able to make your own appointments and ultimately, make your own schedule. During your work day, you’ll also choose what you want to do, whether it’s market research, cold calling, open houses or showing properties.
- Be Your Own Boss. You are the boss of your own business. You make the decisions. If you are independent and self-motivated, it’s a great business to be in.
- Income Potential. As your own boss, you have control of your business and how much you want to take on. The more listings and sales, the more money you earn. You can also control/negotiate how much commission you earn.
- Possible Growth. If you’ve been an agent for a couple of years and want to do more, you can always go back and get your broker’s license or even your auctioneer license. Becoming a broker gives you the opportunity to own and operate your own franchise.
- It does take time and money to not only get your license, but to get your feet off the ground with the cost of marketing and other materials.
- Flexible schedule. Just as it can be a perk, a flexible schedule can be a downfall. You’ll need to be available to meet your client’s needs. That means evenings, weekends and sometimes even holidays.
- No guarantees. Unlike working for a private business or corporation, you aren’t guaranteed a paycheck each week, nor are you given benefits. The economy fluctuates and, with it, so will your business. You’ll need to know how to adapt and keep up with the market.
If you’re ready to get started, our partners at Kaplan Real Estate Education has courses and information available to help. Visit www.KAPRE.com. If you have further questions and want to talk to and experienced real estate professional, visit www.UnitedCountry.com to find one of our veteran real estate agents closest to you.
Sources: https://www.kapre.com/resources/real-estate/is-a-career-in-real-estate-right-for-you/ https://realestate.usnews.com/real-estate/articles/how-to-become-a-real-estate-agent